Saturday, April 18, 2009

Feeding Your Pets

Picture_2
I have cats. When we moved, we brought our five outdoor cats with us. Unfortunately, we only have two that stuck around. I know some cats have a hard time adjusting to new surroundings, and that was our problem with Zoe. She continually went back to where we used to live. After the fifth time of bringing her back, only for her to run away again, we left her over at the old house. She was crossing a four lane highway every time, and I didn't want her getting hit.

My cats are very good hunters. They love leaving me little gifts by the front door, and there have been many times I have caught them eating animals they have caught. A few weeks ago Jack was eating a squirrel. It was about the same size as he is. In the past they have caught rabbits, mice, and chipmunks. I think it's gross that they eat what they kill, but I understand that it's natural.

I have heard that some people feed their pets a diet of raw foods to keep them healthy. Eating raw foods not only help your pet stay healthier, it is what they were meant to do. Cats, by nature, are hunters. I love being able to watch my cats catch mice. It's so primal.

North Coast Pets has a line of food called B.A.R.F., which stands for bones and raw food. This diet is supposed to be very healthy for you cat, or dog. Not very many places carry this diet, but you can find it at North Coast Pets. They carry a lot of hard to find products. They even carry dehydrated foods for those people who do not want to handle raw foods.

I know my outside cats are very healthy, and I am sure it is because of their diet. But don't get me wrong, I do feed them regular cat food when they whine at the door. This lets me know they haven't caught anything in a couple of days, and they are hungry. I don't feed them too much, though, because I want them to hunt.

I don't want the mice to find their way inside!
Post?slot_id=36216&url=http%3a%2f%2fsocialspark

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

i was in pet smart a few weeks ago and saw some new products that were raw food for your pets... i thought it was pretty interesting... i'm not sure i could do it though... but i know it's natural for them... it's just gross.

speaking of squirrels, Zoe brought a big grey squirrel, dead, thankfully, into our house this Winter! I FREAKED out!! I also had to pick it up with some plastic bags and throw it out... UGH! disgusting!! I'm not sure she killed it... I think most likely she found it dead some where and then just thought it was a snack for herself. YUCK! I actually have some pics of it laying on the rug downstairs... ewwww!!

xoxoxo