Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Race Car Repair Is Ryan's Dream Job

Remember a few days ago I was talking about how Ryan wanted to be a mechanic when he grows up, and that I was afraid he would move away to work at a Los Angeles Auto Repair shop or something? Well, it seems that I have nothing to worry about.

As you know, Junior loves working on cars, and has held several jobs in the past as a mechanic. Recent shoulder and chronic back pain keep him from doing big jobs these days, like head gasket repairs and engine overhauls. But while he worked as a mechanic, he made a lot of friends in that field, and one of those friends is a guy who builds and works on race cars.

One day last week, he stopped at the guys shop and asked if he could bring Ryan up there for a little tour. The guy said absolutely, so that afternoon, Junior and Ryan headed to this guys shop. Junior wanted to take me and the girls, but to be honest, I have no interest in that kind of thing, and neither do the girls. I think when they get a little older and start driving, I want Junior to teach them the basics of car maintenance, so they won't get stuck on the side of the road somewhere and not know what to do. At the very least, they should be able to know how to change a flat tire, whether it be on a Mustang or a Ford Explorer.

Anyway, Ryan had a ball at the shop. The guy showed hims the engines, and then took the car for a spin around the parking lot. I can't remember if Junior said that Ryan got to ride in the car or not, but either way, he came back a happy kid. The guy impressed me by telling Ryan to stay in school, and letting him know which subjects he needs to well in so that he will have the brain for mechanics. Ryan is now more excited than ever to pursue his dreams, and he now knows that he can do it right here at home.

And that makes me a very happy mom.

No comments: