Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Family

I am very close to my family.

I have 3 sisters and one brother.

Both my parents live relatively close by.

I see my mom and sister colleen often, because they live the closest.

I talk to the rest of my family on a fairly regular basis.

When one of us has good news, we can't wait to share it.

When it's bad news, it travels just as fast, just not as happily.

My husbands family isn't close.

We see his dad most often.

His sister lives close by, yet we hardly ever see her.

His brother doesn't live close, and we don't see them often either.

His mom lives far away, and doesn't even remember my kids birthdays.

Good news doesn't travel at all.

Neither does bad.

Nobody really talks to each other.

It's sad really.

I have a hard time understanding how a family can be so divided and mean to each other.

It breaks my heart sometimes that my kids don't have the same closeness with that side of the family.

I've tried.

I used to be close to my sister in law, but I'm not too sure what happened there.

And that's the thing...nobody ever talks about things.

They just let things fester.

I am all about directness.

If I hurt someone, I apologize.

I try to work it out.

We're family.

That's what families do.

They work things out and they move on.

They don't hold grudges.

They don't play favorites.

They don't talk down to each other.

They don't try to get everyone to take sides.

They are just supposed to love.

Unconditionally.

Is that really too much to ask?

No comments: