Sunday, February 1, 2009

Golfing In Germany

My dad loves to golf. In fact, he loves it so much that he went to work at a golf course. My three sister's all married men who love to golf, and my brother has been known to hit the greens every now and then. My husband, however, is not a golfer. He does not see how chasing a little ball around, trying to get it into a little hole is relaxing. I kind of agree with him. I get frustrated easily when we play mini golf!

It's funny, though, that golf is popular all around the world. I found some interesting facts about golfing in Germany, even though I could not understand one word on their website! I was able to find the meaning of a few words, so let me explain a little about German golf.

Golfurlaub is a word that means a golf holiday. I'm not sure if it refers to taking a vacation to golf, or if they have an annual golf holiday, like the Fourth of July or something. Heck, it could even just mean having fun on the golf course!

Golfkurs is a little easier to define, because it just means a round of golf lessons. Without doubt, if I ever decided to start golfing one day, I would need this. To tell the truth, I would probably need many lessons.

This last word cracks me up, because I'm sure my dad would agree that it is something needed in the United States. Platzreife is a test that you have to take before being allowed to play on a course in Germany. I wonder if it is like our driving tests, where you get a license to golf when you pass?

All of the links above lead to a website for the biggest golf shop in Germany. They offer lessons, for children and adults, and carry many brands of golf gear. Just make sure you can read German, and if you go on vacation there and want to golf, be prepared to prove your skills.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

hello :)

that is some interesting stuff. :) I also worked at a golf course, NOT because I golf, but b/c i needed a job and got one at a local golf course as a short order cook and also a bartender. It was a lot of work, a LOT of fun, and I made a LOT of money!! :)

sometimes I miss working there, but couldn't ever put in the hours i used to. i would be there all day long from before breakfast till after dinner and for some night caps. lol

i don't think golf is relaxing to me, b/c i SUCK at it. lol

xoxoxo

Jennifer said...

hello :)

that is some interesting stuff. :) I also worked at a golf course, NOT because I golf, but b/c i needed a job and got one at a local golf course as a short order cook and also a bartender. It was a lot of work, a LOT of fun, and I made a LOT of money!! :)

sometimes I miss working there, but couldn't ever put in the hours i used to. i would be there all day long from before breakfast till after dinner and for some night caps. lol

i don't think golf is relaxing to me, b/c i SUCK at it. lol

xoxoxo