Monday, June 14, 2010

Masters Online for Me

Guest post from mommy blogger Karen Stifler

Using satellite internet services to take classes is a really great idea if you have children as I do. I took a few classes on the internet as an undergrad and I really enjoyed the freedom. During my undergrad the classes I took were through my regular commuter university, for my masters I am doing completely online. I am even taking my classes from a university that is about a thousand miles away from my home. Since the program is set up entirely online I never have to visit the brick and mortar campus at all.

When my husband and I first moved to our new home with our three small children I decided I wanted to get a master's degree. Since I wasn't a resident yet I would have had to wait a year to take classes at the nearby university for in state rates. After I thought about it I decided to look into online classes, this way I could get my Master's and stay home with the kids.

Thanks to hughes net satellite internet, we live so far in the county we couldn't get cable, I have had no problem meeting the demands of an all internet course load. I am going to school online, full time while my kids sleep. I am getting a full accredited Master's in Education. The classes are no more difficult than they would be in person and I have the freedom to work at my own pace. I will never go back to a traditional campus setting.

No comments: