Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I Now Know How To Turn Off The Water In My Kitchen

Yesterday, I was sitting her at the computer, listening to the kids doing their chores.  (yes, they were cleaning while I was blogging...gotta love it!)  All of a sudden, Ryan comes over and tells me that the dishwasher is leaking water out the bottom.  I get up expecting a small trickle, but no.  There was hot water pouring out from the bottom of it.  Junior was at work, and I had no idea how to turn the water off.  Ryan volunteered to run down the hill and see if the maintenance guy was home while I used every towel in my house to try and stop the water.  I finally made a barrier of sorts, and the water pooled at least three inches high before the maintenance guy finally got the water turned off.  He took the bottom piece off the dishwasher, and discovered that the hose had broken loose.  Thankfully, he was able to fix it, but I can't use the dishwasher for a few days.  I have to give it a chance to dry out underneath first.

Before he left, I asked him if there was a way for me to turn the water off inside, in case this ever happens again.  Sure enough, the knob under the kitchen sink would have done it.  (I thought that just went to the sink)  By the time he left, all the towels in my house, including my dish towels, were soaked. 

I don't mind though.  I am just happy I was home when it happened.  Lord knows what would have happened if the water had run free for hours.

No comments: