Saturday, March 17, 2012

Reality Television

The other day I was listening to the radio in the van, and the DJ's were talking about reality television.  They wanted callers to call in and say which reality television show they would want to stay on the air. The callers could only name one show, and honestly, I don't think I could do that.  There are a lot of shows I have never watched, and think they are a waste of time, like all the Housewives shows and the Kardashians.  But shows like The Amazing Race and Top Chef are awesome.  If I was only allowed to pick one, it would be Survivor.  Even after all these years, this is the one show the girls and I sit together and watch every week.  I would hate to lose that mother/daughter bonding time.

Of course, there are some reality shows that don't seem like reality shows, like the show about the pawn shop or the one where they buy storage units to see if they can find anything worth money.  I love the concept of this particular show, because it is something even I could do.  We all have these storage places in our towns, like Brooklyn storage or Dallas storage, where people pay to have a place to store all the stuff they own that no longer fits into their homes. On this show, when the renters of these storage places don't pay their monthly fees, the contents of the units are auctioned off, most of the time without the bidders being able to look through them first.  The hope is that the highest bidder will find something in the unit worth more than what they paid for it.  Did you follow that?


In reality, you could go to one of the many Boston self storage units and find out if they have any units up for auction, and then go bid on it. I know in my town, most of the time the storage place will give you an idea of what is in the unit.  I'm not sure if that is the case everywhere. Either way, I think it would be fun to do.

No comments: