Monday, September 30, 2013

Life....It's Been CRAZY!

Here is my sweet little pumpkin, who I lovingly call Punk. She is already 11 weeks old! I can not believe it. Time has really gone by quickly!

I know it has been a while since my last post, and I blame the craziness that is my life. If you are my friend on facebook, you already know that three weeks after Harper was born, I was readmitted into the hospital with a staph infection, which they only discovered after my incision busted open standing in my mother's kitchen. Let me back u a bit.

About two weeks after Harper's birth, I started running a fever. I went in to see the doctor who did my section, and he said I had a virus. I asked him about a ball that had developed in my belly, and he said it was just swelling and scar tissue. He said that if I had an infection, my belly would be red and hot. It was neither. He said the virus would run it's course and sent me on my way.

 The next day I went back to the doctor, because I KNEW that something else was going on. The doctor who did my section wasn't there that day, so I saw another one. He did an internal, and said he felt something, but thought it was my bladder, so he diagnosed me with a bladder infection and prescribed antibiotics. This was a Thursday. I was still running a fever the next few days, and I just didn't feel right. I was staying at my mom's house, and Friday night she tucked me into her bed and she stayed on the couch, waking with the baby through the night. Let me just say right here that I have no idea what I would have done without her!

I got up Saturday morning, and was standing at my mom's sink cleaning bottles. I felt something drip on my foot, and thought it was water from the sink. Then I felt something running down my leg, and realized that it wasn't water at all, but nasty, white, gross yuckiness. I yelled to my mom who was in he other room that she needed to take me to the hospital. I will never forget the look on her face when she walked into the kitchen and realized that part of my incision had opened, and it was the infection that was running down my legs. She grabbed a towel, put it across my incision, and laid me on her bed. Then she called 911. My first ever ambulance ride was interesting, and I was quickly admitted to the hospital.

I can honestly say that I thought I had never been in so much pain in my entire life, and it was a true blessing when the nurses added morphine to my IV. When all was said and done, my incision was packed (it had to be left open because of the infection) and I was allowed to go home the next day after my mom convinced the doctor that she could do wound care because she is an RN. Unfortunately, I only thought I knew was pain was until my mom had to pull the dressing from my wound and repack it. I wouldn't let her touch it until I was medicated, and percocet did the job nicely. Now, if you know me at all, you know I don't eve like taking tylenol, but I had to take the pain meds in order for my incision to be cared for. There was a home health nurse who came out to check on me, too, and she had to check my blood pressure. The first time she came I had taken a percocet, and my blood pressure was so low she asked me if I was breathing! lol!

I was told at the hospital that it could take me months to fully heal, but after lots of prayers from family and friends (and lots of IV antibiotics and orals ones at home), I was completely healed and back to work within three weeks.

The Pastor from my mom's church came to visit me wile I was in the hospital, and he really got to me. I have been going to church regularly for the past month or so. It's weird, but I really feel like that is where I need to be right now, focusing on myself and my children. In fact, last weekend, Brandi stood in front of the entire church and was saved. It was wonderful! I was, and still am, so proud of her.

There is so much more I can say about life with Harper, but I think this post is long enough. I can't say that I will be posting regularly, because as a single mom of four, life is crazy!

No comments: