Thursday, February 5, 2009

Why My Kids Are Home From School

I got up, as usual, around 5:20 this morning. I sat at the computer, and was checking my emails, when all of a sudden, the power went out. I got up, opened the front door, and all I could see was a glow. I look left, and all I see is fire. Yup, fire! I started screaming, because I couldn't tell what was on fire. Junior jumped up, and ran outside, and I followed. It turned out to be a power line that snapped because it was so cold. (we found out later that it was 7500volts) It was sparking so bad, and we had a line of fire from the left side of our driveway, all the way to the end of the yard along the road. After I calmed down...because I was freakin the flip out...I had the sense to yell for my camera! Yup. always thinking about sharing the story! :) But, these pictures do not do justice to the fire...I could not capture the sparks and the intensity...or maybe it just seemed worse to me because I was scared to death! Either way, eventually they got the power company to turn off the wire, and they put the fire out. By that time I was back in bed, catching some zzz's. I mean, what else can you do in the dark with the power out?



4 comments:

The Johnston Family said...

Hope everything is ok. OMG that would have freaked me out.

bcmomtoo said...

That is really scary!

Maybe you could have gotten it on video? Yeah, I know, too late...

I'm glad you are all OK.

Jen said...

I hate to say it but this will be happening more and more. According to my electrician the power company knows a lot of the transformers are in bad shape but just wait for the to fail rather than proactively get them replaced. The ones in our neighborhood are well over 40 years old. We had one blow not too long ago too causing the same fear and destruction.

I'm glad you are all okay. I don't think I could have gone back to bed however, I would have been too wired...no pun intended.

Missy said...

WHEN DO YOU NOT HAVE DRAMA IN YOUR LIFE??? LOL

Ok, I have to mention some things- you were so worried about folks moving in next to you and smoking and something like this happening- well I want you to know it looks like you handled it beautifully! Everyone wound up being ok!! I am so thankful for that!! You get a gold start for that one!!!

Secondly you said.."because I was freakin the flip out" way to keep it PG for the kiddies, lol I would have been making sailors blush! ha!

And last but not least I must say, JENN come on now- you have three kids- you don't know what to do in the dark when the powers out??? Ok, the kids were home...that does cut into that fun lovin action! HA!

Seriously I am so glad you guys are ok!!!