Thursday, October 22, 2009

Breastfeeding Versus Infant Formula

Eight more day and I will be an Aunt, again. I am so excited to meet this little girl or boy. When my sister decided not to find out the sex, I was disappointed. I mean, I make baby blankets, and I needed to know if it should be blue or pink.

I made a gender neutral multi-colored one.

Her timing for this baby is perfect, because it puts her on maternity leave for the Holidays. I am looking forward to helping her make the transition from one child to two. Wait, that sounds wrong. I mean I am looking forward to doing whatever she needs me to do to make her life a little easier the first few weeks with the new baby.

There, that sounds better.

The only thing I won't be able to do is feed the baby, because she plans on breastfeeding. That was always my favorite time with my kids when they were infants, especially the night feedings. I loved being the only two awake, sharing quality time. Weird, I know, but the truth. It was especially true with Brandi, because I worked during the day and didn't have a lot of one on one time with her. Maybe that explains her separation anxiety.

I tried the breastfeeding thing three times, and all three times I failed. I truly believe that it was because my boobs were too big. I did pump for the first couple of months for all of them, but after that they were strictly fed formula. Brandi drank the lactose free, and I just recently recommended the same thing for my nephew. My sister said she switched him to soy formula because of gas problems, and I suggested trying the lactose free first, because I have heard that the milk based formulas are better on babies tummies than soy based ones. (I do not know that this is a fact; it's just something I heard somewhere) I know she buys store brand formula to save money, and that is such a smart thing to do. I do know that this is a great idea, because all baby formula has to meet the same nutrition guidelines, and they are strictly regulated. I was on WIC with my kids, so they got the name brand formula through that, but I always had to buy an extra can or two every month, and I would buy the generic.

Why waste money where you don't have to?
Post?slot_id=74442&url=http%3a%2f%2fsocialspark

1 comment:

StaceyC4 said...

We were on WIC with our second child and thank GOD for that! He had a whole protein allergy and had to go on a prescription amino-acid based formula that cost $30 a can! He went through 3-4 cans a week! It cost more to feed that tiny baby than the rest of us combined. And I agree, go with the lactose-free first.