Thursday, October 29, 2009

My "Wedding"

Junior and I have been married for 14 years. As my loyal readers probably already know, I never had a wedding; we were married at the courthouse. There is a huge part of me that is okay with that, because I would have an anxiety attack worrying about standing in front of all those people.

Then there is a little part of me that thinks I missed out on an important occasions in a girls life. My dad never got to give me away, I never had a first dance with my husband (not that I can dance, but still), my mom never got to make the dress we had picked out for me to wear (yes, we were actually planning our wedding but decided to cancel when I found out I was pregnant), and I never got to have a wedding cake. There was no bridal shower or wedding favors. There was no reception afterwords, just coffee and donuts at my mom's house.

I am thinking about having a small ceremony in six years, on our 20th anniversary, to renew our vows. Maybe then I won't feel like I missed out on anything. I have already picked out my wedding favors, too. I wanted something different, because everyone gives out the picture frames and candy covered almonds. I found this beautiful heart wind chime, and I can get them for as low as $3 each. I don't plan on inviting too many people, so I believe these would be perfect. I found them at partease.com. They have an awesome selection of all things party related, so check them out if you are planning a wedding, or any type of get together.

I am going to have to spend the next 6 years convincing my husband that this wind chime is the perfect favor. I want to have the ceremony outside, like we had originally planned, and I think it would be beautiful to hang the chimes all around, and then tell the guests to take one home when the reception is over. The only problem with that is that Junior hates the sounds of the chimes. But, it will be my wedding day, so I am sure I will get what I want.

Can you say diva?

5 comments:

Jenera said...

I didn't have a wedding either. Oh I tried on a dress, had one picked out, and was going to buy it but then lost my mind because of my idiot family and said no wedding. We got married by a judge in about 10 minutes and it worked for us.

But oh do I still fantasize about one. Especially if there is a wedding going on around me. Like my friend's last month. I did the photography and helped her plan it. then my brother will be married next year and i'm a bridesmaid. I'm going to take advantage of being so dressed up!

Jennifer said...

While I had a wedding ti wasn't the dream wedding I'd dreamed of or wish I had had.

I mentioned renewing our vows next year on our 15th, in Maui as we're supposed to be going for our '2nd Honeymoon (when we didn't really have a first one)and got the answer I knew I'd get. He rolled his eyes at me, he married me once he's not going thru that again.

I hope Junior is more co-operative for you Jenn!

Donna said...

Go for it!! We were married at the JOP to...no preggers here though...just greed and lust...Hahahaaa...hughugs

BK said...

It sounds like the perfect wedding in 6 years time. :)

StaceyC4 said...

Every time you write, you and I get more and more alike! I DID do the wedding - the date was moved up because I was pregnant. It was fun, it was nice but looking back, it was a lot of grief, too. It was financially draining, there were people that we couldn't invite so feelings got hurt and because we were on a budget I didn't get to do all that I wanted to and so I was disappointed in a lot of it. I think planning to renew your vows is a wonderful idea and I absolutely LOVE the windchimes!! I many have to order some of those!