Monday, November 16, 2009

Clocks

My mom is a big fan of clock. She has a house full of them, and it drives me a little nuts when they all start chiming at the same time. I guess after a while you would get used to it, because she says she barely notices it anymore. She has several mantle clocks and a grandfather clock.

I have always wanted an Anniversary clock. I think they are beautiful. A few years ago for Christmas, a family friend gave Junior and I one as a gift. I love it. It sits on the hutch I inherited from my Grandmother.

Now I want a grandfather clock. The one I covet has curio cabinets down each side. I can picture my elephant collection displayed proudly. I know I can not fit one where we live now, but when we move, that will be on the top of my wish list. Finding it on sale would be a blessing, because I know how expensive they can be.

These days people have so many different devices that can tell them what time it is. Cell phones, computers, mp3 players and other electronics are making clocks unnecessary. I sit her at the computer for a good part of every day, and I still continuously look at the clock on the wall, even though my computer displays the time. For me, clocks will always be a part of my home.

1 comment:

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

My parents had lots of clocks too, at least one in every room, sometimes two! They had one of those anniversary clocks. It broke though and after my dad died even though I said it was broken and did not work, I sold it on eBay for way more than I expected--close to $50 I think.