Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Pregnancy Forums - Find The Support You Need

 I was twenty three when I found out I was pregnant with my son.  I was not married, and I had only been dating my then boyfriend for about a month.  As excited as I was about becoming a mom, I was also scared to death.  There were so many questions I had, and at first, I didn't want to tell my mom that I was pregnant.  Yes, I was grown, but I was still living with her at home, and I wasn't sure how she would take the news.  I shouldn't have worried, though, because she was nothing but supportive, answering all of my questions and addressing all of my concerns.  Being a nurse and a mother of five, she knew most of the answers.

I know I was lucky, because there are so many people out there who don't have supportive families.  Thankfully, there are places like PregnancyGroup.org where these people can go to connect with others in the same situations. Most of us who blog do it for the sense of community, and that is also what these forums offer.  Women who have been in the same situations, or who are in the same situations now can support each other and offer comfort and advice.  I was just on there looking around, and was encouraged by what I was reading.  They have several different topics, from trying to conceive to teen pregnancy.  I truly believe that the best advice comes from people who have been in those situations, so having a place to find those people is amazing.

2 comments:

Mrs. Carney said...

I agree! I belong to a forum for miscarriage support. I don't get on as often as I used to, but when the miscarriages first happened, especially this last one with the twin, I found other people who were grieving with me. I can't tell you how many people in my own life have said to me, "At least you have another one." To me, that says that one baby takes the place of another, and that is definitely not the case. I know they were well-intentioned but unless a person's experienced that type of grief, one simply cannot understand the pain and sense of loss.

jenn said...

Terra ~ I agree...unless someone has been through the same thing, they can not understand, as much as they try. I am glad you found the support you need. :)