Friday, December 2, 2011

Accounts

I used to have a savings account attached to my checking account.  When my husband left back in February, I had to close it because it was sucking money out of my checking account.

Let me explain.  I signed up for a type of account where whenever I used my debit card, it would take the change (up to the nearest dollar) and transfer it to my checking account.  It was great for a while, but when money became tight, I had to have access to all of my money, and the bank started charging me when I would transfer the money back into my checking account.  So I closed the account.

These days I am still struggling with money.  That said, I want to open a savings account so that on the weeks when I do need a little extra cash, I will have it stashed away somewhere.  Plus, with tax refund time approaching, I know I will have some money to put aside into a savings account.  As I usually do, I headed to the internet to find some information on the best onl​ine savi​ngs acco​unts ​.  I found an article on a bank's website that discussed the benefits of interest rates and customer service, and to be honest, I am leaning towards opening a savings account with them. A few of their benefits include: no monthly fees, flexible access with ATM card, and the ability to link your savings account to other accounts for overdraft protection.  They are FDIC insured, and offer convenient online banking features.  The online banking is important to me, because I am obsessive about checking my balances and transferring money online, especially since I make quite a bit of money through paypal. 

I am hoping that by opening a savings account, I will be motivated to keep money in it.  It would be nice to not have to hit my dad up for cash on the weeks I just won't make it until Friday.

No comments: