Friday, December 2, 2011

Sending My Kids To Camp

I never went to camp as a kid.  Whenever I got bored during the summer months my mom would send me to my aunts house for a couple of weeks.  I loved spending time with my aunt, uncle, and cousins.  Even now, this particular aunt is my favorite.

The closest I ever came to going to camp was attending this weekly program that my elementary school offered for a few hours every day for a week.  I never had the experience of bunking in a cabin with other kids or swimming in a lake.  I wish I could let my kids experience what I didn't. 

I am sure they would love attending a Youth Summer Camp.  I was trying to figure out a way that they could attend Camp and I could squeeze in a vacation for myself at the same time.  This thinking led me to researching camps in New York.  I still have two sisters up north, and I would love to visit with them while my kids enjoyed some fun in the sun.  I want them to make friends with kids from other parts of the country who they can stay in touch with for years to come. I am sure there aren't many kids left who don't have a Facebook account. Isn't it funny how instead of saying I want them to be pen pals with their new found friends I talk about Facebook?  I remember a time, before computers, when you had to wait weeks for a response to a letter.  Nowadays, you can chat instantly online with people from all over the county.  Heck, you can chat with people all over the world. 

But that isn't my point.  My point is that I want my kids to have the camp experience that I never had.  I know they will enjoy it.

No comments: