Friday, March 23, 2012

Therapy - I Would Recommend It To Anyone

I see a therapist, Elizabeth, every two weeks.  Back in February of last year, when my husband left, I was seeing her every week.  I don't know if I would be doing as well as I am right now if it wasn't for her.  My ex and I were in couple's therapy for a year or so before he left, but Elizabeth was only our therapist for a few months. I think it helped that she knew us as a couple, because it made it easier for her to help me get over his leaving.  She has been supportive and encouraging in a way that even my family and friends couldn't be.  Therapy is a safe place for me, where I know I can talk about anything and everything going on in my life, without worrying about being judged.

A friend of mine and I were talking a couple of weeks ago about my going to therapy, and he asked me if I found it helpful, because he has been thinking about going for a couple of years.  I told him that if he has been considering it for that long, that it is probably a good idea that he go.  There are therapists everywhere, from Bellevue counselors to student therapists.  My therapist was a student when we started seeing her, and now she is a fellow.  My ex and I were referred to her through a free clinic, and I have told her several times that whenever she decides to leave the group she is in, I will follow her anywhere. 

Even though my ex and I did split up, the time we spent in therapy while we were together was very beneficial to us.  I think any couple who is dealing with problems that seem overwhelming should go see a Bellevue marriage counselor or a therapist in their own town.  Trust me when I say that there is nothing "taboo" about it anymore.  Being able to talk to someone, to release all the tension and stress, can be so freeing.

I am speaking from experience.  I honestly don't know what I would do without Elizabeth. ANd if you feel like you need someone to talk to, contact:

Authentic-You Katie Swartz
2025 112th Ave NE, Suite 300
Bellevue, WA 98004-2943
(206) 794-2717
http://counselorbellevue.com/

or someone in your own town.

No comments: