Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Kitten Rescue

Some days my husband is my hero. Today is one of those days. After the kids got on the bus this morning, I went for a walk and then cut my grass. As I was putting the mower away, I noticed that 3 of Claire's kittens were missing. The only one still on the porch was the white one. Faith and I started looking for the babies. Couldn't find them anywhere. Junior said he saw Claire by the culvert at the end of the driveway. I looked, but it was really dark in the tunnel and I couldn't see anything. As I walked away, Claire came out of it, grabbed the white kitten (aptly named Snowball by Nicole) and took him back into it with her. Junior said she was probably hiding them from the mower. He also said that if it rains as bad as they predict this afternoon, the babies could drown. Soooooooo, even though he hates all my cats, he set out to rescue the babies. He took a long piece of wood and attached a lacrosse stick to the end of it. Using that, he was able to scoop out all the kittens. The way I'm writing this makes it sound like it was an easy task. Not so much. He couldn't see into the tunnel, so he was "feelong around" for each kitten. It took about an hour to get them all out. They are now inside. I don't want Claire moving them again. I let her in to nurse them. I can't wait until they are all realdy to go to good homes. Here are some pictures of the culvert and the rescue!

No comments: