Saturday, March 27, 2010

Becoming Energy Efficient

There are so many little things that we all can do to make our homes more energy efficient. I always say I want to do my part, but Energy saving is not something I think about on a daily basis. I know I should, and I found a really cool website that opened my eyes a little to the energy I waste in my home.

Signing up is free. All I had to do was enter a little bit of information about where I live, the type of house I live in, and some information off of my power bill. I was a little disappointed that they didn't have "mobile home" as a selection, because I think it would have made a difference in the recommendations they made for me. The picture below is a shot of what they suggested I do to make my home more energy efficient.
The first suggestion they made was to lower the temperature on our hot water heater, and I find it kind of funny, since this is actually a subject that Junior and I debate all the time. I think he has it set too hot. In fact, the water is so hot that you can not shower without turning on a least a little cold water. He has always, since the day we got married, insisted that he gets to set it where he wants since I don't know how to change it.

I pick my battles, and let him win this one. But, maybe if I show him the money we can save on our power bill, he might have a change of heart.

I wish they had asked about home appliances, because they recommend that we buy an energy efficient one when we replace our current one. Our current one is less than 5 years old, and it is energy efficient. So is our dishwasher. They also recommended we use those funky light bulbs, and we already do. Maybe I just didn't go far enough with the evaluation?

Either way, they made many useful suggestions that I will take into consideration as I try to reduce our home energy consumption. You can head over to the site and find out what you can do to make your home more energy efficient too. Trust me when I say it only took a few minutes, and now I have a better idea of what my family needs to do.

And I am going to make sure we do it.

4 comments:

Frugal Vicki said...

That is a neat site! I will have to check it out!

Donna said...

well...there's so darn much I Could say about all this Green stuff...but Won't!Hahaa
Lets just say that last night was "Green Hour"...At that precise hour, I turned Everything I could, ON!!!
hughugs

Kristin said...

I am going to do this right now, thanks for the suggestion!

Kristin said...

ok.. went to clink on a link to take me there. and I am not finding one? maybe I just need to do a google search for it.. probably could be found easily.. lol, if I am missing it and it is right in front of me!