Friday, August 13, 2010

Third Grade

Back in April, I wrote a post about splitting kids into gender specific classrooms because Brandi's school was going to be offering just that to the upcoming third graders.  I really didn't know a lot about it, but felt that it wasn't something I really wanted for her.  I checked the box on the paper that said "not interested", and that was that.

Or so I thought.

Yesterday we registered her for school, and found out she is in an all girl class.  Honestly, I was shocked because I didn't want that, and it was supposed to be the parents choice.  Turns out, not enough kids signed up, so the principal asked the second grade teachers to recommend kids who they thought would flourish in this kind of environment, and Brandi's teacher picked her.  We stopped and talked with her on the way to meet Brandi's new teacher, and she said that she truly believes that Brandi will do awesome in this class.  She couldn't stop hugging Brandi, and she was going on and on about how smart she is, and how she just knows that she will love being in this all girl class.

So off we went to meet her teacher.  I was so glad to find a young, energetic woman who is so excited to be teaching just girls.  I asked her specifically what the benefits would be for the kids, and she said that because boys and girls learn differently, focusing on just one gender would help the kids learn more, and score better on tests.  For a second I thought about switching Brandi to a regular class, but Junior and I decided that it's only for one year, so we'd give it a try.  If Brandi hates it, next year we will put her in a regular boy/girl class.

Brandi was also accepted into the school's CLIMB program, which is pretty awesome.  This is a program they test the kids for in second grade, and those who show the qualities they are looking for are accepted.  These are their criteria to being accepted:

Reasoning Abilities:
Reasoning abilities are those higher level cognitive processes that reflect general aptitude for thought-strategies such as inferring, analyzing, and problem solving.  National normed tests are used.  Students must demonstrate high aptitude in one or more areas.

High Acheivement in Reading and/or Mathematics:
Acheivement refers to academic performance in the areas of reading and/or mayhematics.  Students must demonstrate high acheivement in either or both areas as measured by nationally normed acheivement teats (SC PACT).

Intellectual/Academic Performance:
Intellectual/academic performance is the student's demonstration of a high degree of interest in and commitment to academic and/or intellectual pursuits.  Students may demonstrate intellectual characteristics such as curiosity/inquiry, reflection, and persistance/tenacity in the face of challenge and creative productive thinking.

Students with outstanding talent perform or show the potential for performing at remarkably high levels of accomplishment when compared to others of their age, experience, or environment.
These students exhibit high performance capability in intellectual, creative, and/or artistic areas, possess an unusual leadership capacity, or excel in specific academic fields.  They require services or activities not ordinarily provided by schools.

Sounds like my kid, right?  With all of the new stuff she will be facing this year, I hope she does great!

8 comments:

Mrs. Carney said...

Yay! I know you are proud of her! Here's to a great school year for all 3 of your kids! :)

jenn said...

Thanks Terra! I'm proud of all of them :)

Tammy said...

I wish they had this for my boys. I really think boys and girl do learn very different. You should be a very proud mom! What great kid's you have.

Frugal Vicki said...

Yeah! Good job Brandi! I would still be pissed about my lack of input though

Rachele said...

Is that something new? Or specific to your area? I've never heard of splitting the kids by gender. Interesting thought, though. I'll be interested to hear how it works out and the benefits of it.

jenn said...

Tammy ~ I honestly think the boys will benefit more from this. If I was given this option when Ryan was that age, I would have fought to have him in that class.

jenn said...

Vicki ~ you know, I kind of was, but I am going to trust that her teacher last year knows more than me. Hopefully, it will be a good thing. Plus, I know Brandi will excel in any environment.

jenn said...

Rachele ~ this is the first year this school is doing it, and to be honest, I'm not even sure if all the elementary school in the district are doing it, or if it just this one. I am also interested to see how it works out.