Monday, January 2, 2012

I Learned How To Find Happiness

It's the second day of a brand new year, and I must say, I am really looking forward to what this year will bring for me.  I know I wrote a post a couple of days ago about the things I learned last year about myself, but I didn't really touch on the things that I want to improve on this year.

The first and most important thing is my weight.  I really want to lose these last 50 pounds.  The second thing I want to do is get divorced.  I can file at the end of February, and I'm hoping it will be a painless experience.  My ex and I are getting along right now, and I am anticipating him keeping his word when he said we would do this amicably.  The third thing I want to do is continue on this journey of happiness I am on.

I still see my therapist every two weeks, and I am often taken aback when she calls me an inspiration.  In fact, I couldn't believe how many women commented on my other post saying the same thing.  My therapist says that most women who have their husbands leave them for another woman take it personally.  I didn't.  I knew my marriage was in trouble, and honestly, I think my ex leaving was inevitable.  He needed to find happiness, because he was no longer happy with me.  Looking back, I don't think I was happy either.  I chose to be strong for my kids, and did everything I could to make this transition easier for them.  Sure, that included me finally figuring out How To Find Happiness for myself, and I have.  It didn't come from other people, which surprised me.  It came from me finally taking charge of my life and doing things I'd never done before.  I learned to drive, which had been a fear of mine my entire life.  I got a job, which was scary since I hadn't worked in almost ten years.  Now, I love my job, which is driving a delivery van.  Go figure.

I have finally found peace in my life. I get up everyday and live.  I am a great mom.  I am an awesome friend.  But most importantly, I am happy with myself and the decisions I have made. 

Now, if I could just give up Diet Coke and smoking.

21 comments:

Unknown said...

First of all, my very bestest and warmest wishes for you and those you love for this new year. Last year you have proven all of us just how strong and brave you are! Don't change, stay the way you are because you can't get any better (any better would be perfection, and perfection is dull, lol).

Now, this year, give up Diet Coke? Ugh, that's easy for me because I don't like the taste and never drink it. I rather go for the sugary 100%-calory-bomb-Coke, see?

Give up smoking? Hey, do keep us posted on that one. I'd love to quit smoking before July (my 40th birthday, ouch) but the porblem is I'm not really keen on quitting. How stupid is that? Perhaps a good resolution for me in 2012: to try and be a bit less stupid?

Best to you from Paris anyway.

Catherine said...

Dear Jenn, Keeping positive is always a good start. Believe and keep your faith. It will be a wealth of strength for you and trust your instincts they usually are always right! Blessings, Catherine

Tammy said...

Your are very much a inspiration. You have come so far and have done good things for you and your family. I'm sure good things are coming your way with the great outlook you have.

Happy New Year Jenn :)

Donna said...

I know when you set your mind to something, you always seem to do it!
hughugs

Ruth said...

Hey, Jenn, you're an awesome lady and I know things will be great! Here's a thought that might help giving up the Diet Coke, there have been studies that showed aspartame to be a neurotoxin. It literally kills your brain cells! I stay away from that stuff like the plague, with my neurological problems it's the last thing I need. As for the smoking, I know it can be really hard. My ex can't seem to quit, even after he was hospitalized with a collapsed lung and the doctor told him to quit he was back doing it after a couple weeks.

jenn said...

dieter moitzi ~ I am the same way with smoking...I just don't really want to quit right now, even though I know I should. I keep saying once I get through this divorce I'll be a little less stressed. I quit cold turkey over 10 years ago...never should have started back...but I know that if I did it once, when the time comes, I can do it again.

jenn said...

catherine ~ thank you! I have always been one to trust the way I feel...it has kept me from making lots of mistakes in the past.

jenn said...

tammy ~ thanks sweetie! I am really looking forward to what this year will bring.

jenn said...

miss donna ~ I think that is mostly because I am stubborn and kind of a control freak! lol!

jenn said...

ruth ~ I have heard all kinds of bad things about aspertame...you would think that would keep me from drinking it. But, I am not a coffee person, and need my caffeine fix, especially while driving all day. I am going to try and drink more water, which should not only keep me away from the cehmicals, but help with the weight loss, too.

Dawn Conklin said...

Hi Jenn,

I can relate to the smoking! I quit for 4 years in the past and then I started back during my divorce-there was a lot of drama. It was a disaster really. I am so glad that you and your ex can do this in a civil manner.
Sounds like you are doing great tho, happy with life and your job! That is something many people do not have at the moment.
I hope the new year brings you many great things :)

jenn said...

dawn ~ I know how lucky I am...I never take that for granted. Or at least I try not to :)

Kristin said...

Jenn,

I hope this year finds you continuing on your path of happiness.. I so appreciate you letting us in on what you have been through, both your struggles and triumphs..
It has been wonderful getting to know you.. in your previous life.. and your new one.. I mean, really.. It is like you were re-born last year.
Have a great year, Jenn, you deserve all the happiness in the world..

Yeshel said...

YOU GOT A GOOD JOB WHICH MIGHT WORK AS A THERAPY, IT WILL TAKE YOU TO PLACES AND NEW EXPERIENCES.WISH I COULD DRIVE.

robin said...

I've been reading your blog for quite awhile even though I haven't commented in the past. The fact that you have decided to move on with your life and the positive approach you've been taking is an inspiration to everyone who may read your blog. Keep it up! And best wishes for fulfilling your aims. I too have made a decision to get on with my life and have faced the realization that friends whom I thought were close were using me. After living with them for the past 18 months, I have now moved out and am looking forward to taking control of my own life.

All the best for the new year!

Robin

jenn said...

Kristen ~ I do feel like I have been reborn in a weird sort of way...and I am loving my new life! It's sad that such an awful thing had to happen for me to become who I am now, though I truly believe that this is who I was always meant to be.. And once you get back to NC, we have got to find a way to meet up in person!

jenn said...

Jia ~ driving is a new and wonderful experience for me..you should give it a try, too!

jenn said...

robin ~ I'm glad you decided to comment. I, too, have had to cut out friends from my life...one in particular...who was such a negative force. Surrounding people who love you, whether they be friends or family, is so much better than being around people who only like you for what you can do for them. I hope you find the happiness I am sure you deserve!

verabear said...

I must say, congratulations to you, and all the best wishes as you continue the journey. 2012 promises to be our best year yet. :)

jenn said...

verabear ~ thank you! I hope it is!!!!

Elvirah said...

Hello Jenn,

I am glad i stopped by your blog today to read this motivational post. Life is indeed all about moving on no matter how terrible it sounds like. You are an inspiration to all those woman who worry, panick and get lost in fearful thoughts with the idea of getting divorced. But you took it in the right way because you know worrying wouldn't really help in this case and it would break your heart and your children's if you collapse. You have a very strong heart and i wish you all the best in all your endeavours this New Year 2012. Wish you a blessed and a Happy New Year 2012.

http://www.rachelspassion.blogspot.com