Sunday, December 11, 2011

I Want To Buy A House. Eventually.

Recently, I have been thinking a lot about where the kids and I are headed.  In a little over two months I will finally be able to file for divorce.   I have been looking forward to this for the past ten months, since the day my husband left.  I have written enough about how much I have changed and how much I am enjoying my new found freedom, but what I haven't really discussed are my goals for my future. 

My biggest dream is to finally own my own home.  I have a lot of work to get there, so I consider it a long term goal, but one I hope to eventually reach.  My biggest obstacle is going to be improving my credit score.  I have been trying to pay off all our old debts, because trust me when I say there are quite a few people we owed money to when my husband left.  I spent my entire married life living paycheck to paycheck, and I hated it.  There was never enough money to pay everyone, so I got good at putting things off.  Unfortunately, right now I am also living paycheck to paycheck, but I make sure all my bills are paid on time every month.

I don't make a lot of money right now.  In fact, I make minimum wage.  But, I work hard and my boss is very good to me.  I have considered looking for something else, but I don't know if I would find another job that would allow me to work the same hours I do now.  Plus, I love spending the day alone, listening to my radio and singing along at the top of my lungs to all the songs I love.

I have been hearing a  lot of commercials lately talking about home ownership, and according to them, right now I am throwing money away by renting.  According to these commercials, I could own a home for less than I am paying in rent.  I'm not looking for something brand new, just a home that doesn't need too much work and is big enough for me and the kids.  I may have to compare Aurora Bank mortgages and see if I could afford a mortgage payment.  Seeing as how I have never looked into this before, I have a lot of questions.  I don't know what good rates are or how much I would need for a down payment or closing costs.  Thankfully, there are sites like this that can help me find the answers to all of my questions.  

I am sure I could call my dad, too, for a little information.  I call him a lot these days with all kinds of questions.  I may have found my independence, but I still need a little help now and then.

No comments: